Sports Wall of Fame

MacGillivray, Clifford (Mac)

MacGillivray, Clifford (Mac)
Full size image of plaque

Clifford "Mac" MacGillivray was a tower of strength on the local sport scene from 1930 to 1950. In 1937 the Niagara Falls Softball Association was formed with 8 teams participating. Mac was president for the next 10 years and by 1946, a total of 14 teams made up the league. At this same time, and for a dozen years, Mac was president of the Niagara Falls Industrial Hockey League consisting of local industry sponsored teams from other locations, such as St. Davids, Fort Erie, and Niagara Falls, New York. These sporting events provided many hours of entertainment for the sport fans.
In the 1930s, the City built a "box lacrosse arena" beside the municipal swimming pool at the west end of Jepson Street. With lacrosse sticks from the Indian Reserve near Cornwall, Ontario, Mac formed a city-wide school league as well as summer vacation play for kids of the City. In the winter, this area became an outdoor rink and Mac was convenor for Juvenile Hockey there, using the swimming pool building as change rooms. After a few years, the hockey program moved to the Victoria Avenue Arena.
For many years, Mac was a local softball umpire and referee of lacrosse across the province. From the depression and war years, to his untimely death on January 19, 1950, Clifford MacGillivray was instrumental in providing sport for the youth of Niagara Falls. 
 

Additional Images & Resources

 
Click to view photograph of Induction Ceremony  Click to view photograph of Induction Ceremony
From the library's image database (click the link to view the full record)

Title 9th Sports Wall of Fame Induction Ceremony - Clifford (Mac) MacGillivray
Creator  Simon, Pat
Description  at the podium making his acceptance speech, Mayor Wayne Thomson (right)
Date  1998.
 
 
 
Back to previous page Back to Top